5 Ways to Extend Your Phone’s Battery Life
Written by Arvig in Business Technology for Your Business
If you’re like most busy professionals today, your smartphone is always with you. In the workplace, our phones make many aspects of our jobs faster and easier. But even our versatile devices wear down when they’re running all day.
Here are 5 ways to extend your phone’s battery life.
- Turn off Wi-Fi, GPS and Bluetooth: These features are a drain on the battery because they’re always searching for new connections and hunting for links. Disable them when not in use to save battery power.
- Adjust screen brightness and timeout: Your screen is one of the most battery-demanding features on your phone. Turn down the brightness slider or activate auto brightness to automatically dim the screen when necessary. Set screen timeout to activate after just a few seconds of inactivity.
- Use Airplane mode: To conserve power without completely powering down, airplane mode can save battery in a pinch. You won’t be able to send or receive calls or messages, or connect to the web, but it’s a big power saver if you’re occupied, in an area with no signal or plan to be away from your phone for a while.
- Turn off push notifications: When you get a new email, text, call or alert from social media, your phone sends you a notification, but it’s got to reach out to a server to retrieve it. To reduce drain on the battery, turn off notifications you don’t need.
- Close background apps: Even when you’re not using them, apps running in the background consume a lot of power. Close the ones you’re not using, and you’ll see significant power savings. It’s a good idea, however, to leave open the apps you use often, because launching apps takes a lot from the battery.
Here’s a bonus tip for better overall battery life: Recharging your phone more often, even at 70 percent, is better for the overall life than letting it drain to nearly empty. Lithium ion batteries have no charge memory, but they only have so many full discharge cycles. Frequent charges keep battery components from degrading as quickly and can extend overall life.